What is Oral Communication and Examples?
Now let discussed about oral communication are discussed below:-
Talking: Talking is the most common from of communication. It is the easiest, quickest and the most easiest way of communication. A Person can talk to another person or to a large number of a person.
Interview: An interview is also a form of oral communication. It has three purposes. (i) to get information (ii) to provide information and (iii) to motivate people. Interviews provide and appraisal of the training, educational qualifications, working experience and personality of the interviewee. It helps in checking the responsiveness, alertness, presence of mind and manners the persons being interview.
Group discussion: A group of trainees is assigned a problem much in advance together with necessary reference of books to be consulted. The group prepares a paper for discussion. The leader of the groups discussion the problem and the rest of the trainees can contribute come ideas during the course of discussion which is controlled by the leader of the class. Group discussion is possible along persons of equal status. In that case the chairman of the group shall act as group leader. Most of the time the attitude of the leader is passive and most of the discussion is made by group members.
Seminars: Oral discussions are main part of seminars also. The seminars are used to collect information to deal with a problem. Usually the research scholars are informed in about the research methodology. The familiarity with the proper methodology of research helps in dealing with the problem in hand accurately. The names of the participants and their assignments are announced well in advance.
- Others: Other than these oral communications can also take place through a public address system, radio telephone, speaker tubes, tele-printer and messengers.
ADVANTAGES OF ORAL COMMUNICATION
As we have discussed on our earlier post importance of effective communication if you ave not read that post you can gone through by just simple click on “Importance of Effective Communication“.
Oral Communication involves many advantages. In a recent survey about communication it is clear that more than 55% of the executives choose this communication. The advantages of oral communication are as follows: –
- Time Saving: When action is required to be taken immediately it is best to transmit a message orally. If the executives work load is high then they stop writing and by oral instructions they complete their message transmission and released their work load and also it saves times.
- Cost Savings: Cost is involved in any communication. When the communication is needed within the organization and if it and is completed in orally, it has not needed any paper, pen or stamp or computer. So, it saves the money of the organization.
- More Powerful: Speech is a more powerful means of persuasion and control. Therefore, executives often prefer to transmit messages orally.
- Effectiveness: With the help of variations in the tone, pitch and intensity of voice, the speaker can convey shades of meaning. This factor also contributes to the effectiveness of oral communication.
- Immediate Feedback: The speaker can get immediate feedback on whether it is creating a favourable impression on the receiver or whether the receiver will protest or whether the receiver has receiver clearly understood his meaning or is feeling perplexed or baffled and he can mold and adjust his message accordingly.
- More suitable: The employees felt more suitable when the message transmits in orally. They get an opportunity for feedback and clarification.
- A Relationship develops: Oral communication is mostly carried out helps to promote friendly relations between relations between the parties communicating with each other.
- Flexibility: By the demand of the situations oral instructions can be changed easily and for these cases maintain the formalities are not necessary. So it is very much flexible and effective.
- Easiness: It is so easy method of communication. It needs little preparations to send a message. No need of pens, pencils and other writing equipment’s which are needed in written communication.
- Correction of errors: If any error is expressed at the time of oral communication. It was possible to rectify at that time or within a very short time.
- Motivation: In oral communication system, top executives and sub ordinates staff can sit face-to-face and exchange their views directly, so sub sub-ordinates are motivated day by day.
- Special applications: Oral Communication is more helpful in communicating messages to groups of people at assembly meetings etc.
- Maintaining secrecy: Interested parties of oral communication can maintain the secrecy of messages easily.
DISADVANTAGES OF ORAL COMMUNICATION
Oral communication contains many advantages. In spite of this, there are oral some disadvantages which are given below: –
- No Record: In oral communication, messages are difficult to record. So it is impossible to preserve the message for future.
- Expensive: It is also expensive media of communication. Sometimes the audience can be managed by paying T. A. and D. A. on the other hand technological devices that are used in this system are costly.
- Inaccuracy: These is very possibility of inaccurate messages to reach the destination. So, the reverse result of expected plan may be occurred.
- Confused Speech: Sometimes the receiver fails to understand the meaning of message due to habitual production of the speaker.
- No legal validity: There is any legal validity of the oral message. As the oral messages are not taped and kept records. So it can be denied easily if the situation goes against the speaker.
- Late decision: It takes time to reach a decision. At the beginning stage sometime is killed in the discussion of any personal matters. Besides sometime is also wasted for irrelevant discussion. In this way decision making is delayed.
- Less Important: In oral communication, meaningless speech can mislead the main effects of the communication. But when the information comes out in written, we take it seriously.
So, that’s it from my side, if you like this post please share with your friends on Whatsapp,Facebook,Twitter or just forward this post.
If you have any suggestion or topic please comment below.